934th AIRLIFT WING
The 934th Airlift Wing, also known as the "Global Vikings," is Minnesota's only Air Force Reserve unit. It is a combat-ready Air Force Reserve Command flying unit, which serves as the Department of Defense's host for Army, Navy, Marine and Air National Guard units at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport Air Reserve Station, Minn.
Mission: The wing's mission is to fly C-130H3 cargo aircraft, both airdropping and airlanding cargo and people. Aeromedical evacuation of patients within the theater of operations is another facet of the mission. The 934th Airlift Wing supports the Air Force mission on a daily basis, providing airlift both in the United States and around the world.
Units: To accomplish its mission, the 934th Airlift Wing is made up of 14 units, including a headquarters section. They are: the 96th Airlift Squadron, 934th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, 27th Aerial Port Squadron, 934th Civil Engineer Squadron, 934th Logistics Readiness Squadron, 934th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 934th Maintenance Squadron, 934th Aeromedical Staging Squadron, 934th Force Support Squadron, 934th Security Forces Squadron, 934th Communications Flight, 934th Maintenance Operations Flight, and 934th Operations Support Squadron.
Command: The 934th Airlift Wing reports to 22d Air Force at Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga. It is responsible for more than 300 acres around the airport, and directly or indirectly supports approximately 5,000 members of the Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, Minnesota Air National Guard, Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Civil Air Patrol.
People: To assist the wing commander in his day-to-day responsibilities, the base has both Air Reserve Technicians and federal civil service employees assigned to various wing units. About 1,400 reservists from primarily a five-state area are assigned to the 934th Airlift Wing.
Impact: The 934th Airlift Wing obligated more than $63 million in Air Force Reserve and civil servant salaries in fiscal year 2015. It spent more than $20 million in operations, maintenance and other service contract and indirectly created more than $36 million in jobs for the community. Add all these facets together and that is more than $120 million economic impact the 934th Airlift Wing coordinated to the Twin Cities area in 2015.
Aircraft: In January, 1970, the first C-130A Hercules cargo transport aircraft were delivered to the 934th Tactical Airlift Group. In 1986 the squadron converted to the C-130E and used this aircraft until 2003 when the unit began flying the C-130H2. After an aircraft swap with Niagara Air Reserve Station, N.Y. in June 2008, the unit now flies eight C-130H3 models.
History: The military has had active units at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport since 1948.
· May 25, 1943: 96th Airlift Squadron constituted at Baier Army Air Field, Ind.
· 1948-1978: 934th Troop Carrier Group (consists of 934th Material, 934th Combat Support and the 96th Troop Carrier Squadrons) placed under the command of the 440th Troop Carrier Wing, Milwaukee, Wis.
· Feb. 11, 1963: 934th Tactical Airlift Group activated at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
· June 1970, Group moved to its present location on the north side of the airport.
· April 1, 1978: Group placed under the command of the 442nd Tactical Airlift Wing, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo.
· Oct. 1, 1981: Group transferred to the 433rd Tactical Airlift Wing, Kelly AFB, Texas.
· April 1, 1985: Group placed under command of the 302nd TAW, Peterson AFB, Colo.
· Dec. 31, 1987: Group placed under command of the 403rd TAW, Keesler AFB, Miss.
· June 1, 1992: Group placed under the 302nd TAW again
· Oct. 1, 1994: Group designated a wing
Operation Support: In February 2007, more than 150 members were deployed to Southwest Asia as part of Air Expeditionary Force 5/6. Currently, 934th aircraft and people deploy for Operation CORONET OAK to perform missions from Puerto Rico to the entire SOUTHCOM theater. Other operations the unit has supported include:
· JUST CAUSE -- Panama, 1989
· DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM - Persian Gulf, England, Spain and United States (provided aircrew, aeromedical, aircraft maintenance, medical, aerial port and support people), 1990-1991
· PROVIDE PROMISE -- Bosnia-Herzegovina, 1992-1994
· RESTORE HOPE - Somalia, 1993
· SAFE HAVEN -- Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (provided one of the first aircraft for airlift of Cuban refugees to Howard Air Force Base, Panama) August 1994
· SOUTHERN WATCH -- Saudi Arabia, 1996
· JOINT GUARD -- Bosnia, 1996-1997
· SOUTHERN WATCH - Southwest Asia, 1998
· ENDURING/IRAQI FREEDOM - Southwest Asia, March 2003-March 2005, January-August 2009
· IN-CONUS MOBILITY OF PATIENTS
· AIR EXPEDITIONARY FORCE
· OPERATION CORONET OAK
· OPERATION JOINT ENTERPRISE
· OPERATION NEW DAWN--IRAQ
Recent Unit Awards:
2015 AFRC Maintenance Effectiveness Award
2015 Air Reserve Componant Base Logistics Activity of the Year
2015 AFRC Logistics Readiness Squadron Quality Assurance of the Year
2015 934 OSS AFRC Ronald D. McCarthy Airfield Management Facility of the Year
2015 AFRC Outstanding Civil Engineer Unit
2015 Air Force Society of American Military engineers Curtin Award (ARC category)
2015 Airman and Family Readiness Program of the Year
2015 Fitness and Sports Program of the Year
2015 DoD Airmen and Family Readiness Program of the Year
2014 AFRC Amn. and Family Readiness Program of the Year
2014 AFRC Outstanding Education and Training Program of the Year
2013 Airfield Management Facility of the Year
2013 Airmen and Family Readiness Program of the Year
2013 Sports and Fitness Program of the Year
(Current as of Aug. 2016)