Col. Craig S. Petersen is commander of the 934th Mission Support Group, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport Air Reserve Station, Minn. As the group commander, he provides leadership and management oversight to ten subordinate base level squadrons, flights, staff agencies and other organizations in support of the 934th Airlift Wing's mission to provide airlift forces for Air Mobility Command's global flying mission.
Colonel Petersen entered the active duty Air Force in 1983 after graduating from The Citadel, Military College of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C. He was commissioned through the Air Force ROTC program. As an Air Force logistics readiness officer, Colonel Petersen has held a variety of positions with increased levels of responsibility in highly visible programs, both on active duty and in the Reserve.
He possesses a broad operational background with experience in air and surface transportation modes, mobility training, deployments, war planning and readiness, and in the wholesale acquisition and logistics programs. After 12.5 years of active duty service, Colonel Petersen joined the Air Force Reserve in 1996.
1983 Bachelor of arts degree in psychology, The Citadel, Military College of South Carolina, Charleston S.C.
1988 Master of Arts degree in Public Administration, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
1988 Squadron Officer School (Correspondence) Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Squadron Officer School (in residence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air War College (Correspondence) Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 National Defense University, Washington D.C.
1. December 1983 - July 1985, assistant operations officer, 2nd Mobile Aerial Port Squadron; mobility training officer, 314th Transportation Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2. August 1985 - August 1988, vehicle management officer/vehicle maintenance officer and chief, plans and programs branch, 10th Transportation Squadron, Royal Air Force Alconbury, United Kingdom
3. September 1988 - May 1990, deputy director of transportation, 7625th Logistics Squadron, DCS Logistics, USAF Academy, Colo.
4. May 1990 - May 1992, transportation systems officer/chief, combat readiness and resources/staff transportation officer, directorate of transportation, DCS Logistics, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. June 1992 - February 1996, program manager, Air Force logistics career broadening program, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
6. June 1996 - January 1999, Chief, squadron administrative support/air freight services flight commander/chief, unit plans and programs, 67th Aerial Port Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
7. January 1999 - December 2006, assistant chief, aerial port branch, Headquarters Fourth Air Force, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
8. January 2007 - January 2010, commander, 446th Mission Support Group, McChord AFB, Wash.
9. February 2010 - July 2010, commander, 446th Mission Support Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
10. August 2010 - September 2014, commander, 433rd Mission Support Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
11. September 2014-Present, commander, 934th Mission Support Group, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport Air Reserve Station, Minn.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second lieutenant July 1983
First lieutenant July 1985
Captain July 1987
Major October 1997
Lieutenant colonel September 2002
Colonel January 2007
(Current as of September 2014)